1814 Commemoration Inc will be holding a Press Conference on July 7th at 10:30 AM in the Food Court at Champlain Centre Mall to announce the following:
- INVITATON: 1814 Commemoration Inc., the City of Plattsburgh and the Town of Plattsburgh have extended an invitation to all people in our region, and beyond, to gather September 9th – 12th to commemorate the “1814 Battle of Plattsburgh”, to experience “Living History” and to celebrate family, friends, neighbors, and communities.
- HIGHLIGHTS: The Commemoration Schedule will be announced including plans for an old-fashioned parade titled, “Communities Emerging Through History”.
- Complete schedule can be viewed at www.1814inc.com
- MURAL: A “Battle of Plattsburgh Commemoration Mural” will be presented to 1814 Commemoration Inc on July 7th at Champlain Centre mall. The Mural project was generously produced and donated by John Momot, owner of Creative Signs of Plattsburgh.
The Mural tells the history of the September 11, 1814, battle and the annual Commemorations that began in 1998 under the leadership of Christopher “Kit” Booth. It explains how the Battle of Plattsburgh Commemoration evolved into 1814 Commemoration Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit, established in February 2020, by volunteers who organize and present an annual commemorative event. The 12’ x 13’ mural includes 27 photographs from past commemorations. The Mural will be on display at Champlain Centre Mall until September.
- POSTER CONTEST: The New York State Art Teachers Association, Region 5 (NYSATA) has partnered with 1814 Commemoration Inc. for the 2021 Battle of Plattsburgh Commemoration Poster Contest. The contest was coordinated by Shannon Piche-Smith, President of NYSATA, with area art teachers. All 5th-grade students in Clinton and Essex Counties were eligible to enter and over 70 posters have been submitted. The contest concluded on July 1st. and the posters will be judged by a panel of five art teachers. The names of the students with the winning posters will be announced on July 7th. They will receive a Jane Claffey 1814 Art Award and a cash prize, donated by the Plattsburgh Lion’s Club, at a special ceremony in August. The four students will be invited to be special guests in the Commemoration Parade.
- The 1st place poster will be made into a “Souvenir Button” and will be available, along with an event schedule and map, beginning in early August in area businesses (TBA).
- Jane Claffey introduced the idea of a Poster Contest in 1998 and it has taken place each year since then, with the exception of 2020. Jane was Chairperson for the Poster Contest, Button Distribution, and the Plucky Rooster Contest for many years. She retired as an active volunteer in 2018 and now resides in Lake Placid.
Additional information about the September event can be found at 1814inc.com